This isn't the first t-shirt quilt I've ever made nor will it be my last. The reason why it took 2.5 years is I had a baby almost 2 weeks after her arrival and on top of that, still had to take care of my oldest (who just turned 2 at the time and recovering from a minor outbreak of the chickenpox).
This version of the quilt is made of 25 squares and almost all of them are from a shirt with sentimental value. Brutus Buckeye always has to be in the middle since he's our mascot from THE Ohio State University.
|quilt layers from bottom to top: fleece, batting, t-shirt squares|
Instead of buying packaged bias tape, I used the leftover material from the trim. I had to look up several tutorials to find the easiest way to cut one continuous strip and then run the material through a bias tape maker. I felt so much satisfaction when feeding through the material and ironing out the partially folded bias tape. I'm not sure how much I made but there was enough to cover the perimeter of the quilt and a ton of it leftover for future projects.
|cutting one long continuous strip to make bias tape|
|bias tape created with the most awesome gadget ever|